We’re hiring full and part-time cashiers!
The Rutland Area Food Co-op is a community-owned grocery and wellness market situated in downtown Rutland, Vermont. As a food cooperative, we are owned by a membership base of around 2,000 members. We aim to provide our owners and the greater Rutland region with affordable access to high-quality, local, organic and sustainable foods and goods. At the same time, as a mission-driven, community-oriented business, we proudly strengthen our region by carrying products of more than 180 local businesses.
The Rutland Co-op’s front-end staff are responsible for accurately processing customer transactions, providing prompt, friendly, helpful customer service, and supporting the coop in achieving its goals. He/she will work under the guidance of the front-end manager and will report to the General Manager.
Responsibilities – include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Check out customer purchases in a friendly, accurate, and timely manner using correct prices, departments, and codes.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Ensure maintenance, cleanliness, and organization of all work areas, storage, and equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Call for backup with check out as needed so that customers wait as little as possible.
- Receive payment in full for purchases, carefully giving change and receipts.
- Follow cash handling security procedures according to established guidelines.
- Help prevent shoplifting by observing customer traffic.
- Keep Front End in a clean, orderly condition, organize carts and baskets. Maintain shopper and register supplies.
- Preparation and stocking/maintenance of the coffee and kombucha stations.
- Comply with all Co-op policies and procedures that ensure compliance with Vermont Department of Liquor Control guidelines and prevent alcohol sales to minors or intoxicated customers.
- Become familiar with Co-op policies and products to answer customer questions; refer unresolved questions or problems to appropriate staff.
- Cash-handling experience; ability to run register with speed and accuracy
- Proficient math skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Highly organized with great attention to detail.
- Some experience or knowledge of the cooperative business structure and values as well as local, organic, and sustainable foods.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- You must be punctual, dependable, and show the ability to apply judgment, interpret and follow directions, solve problems and seek guidance when appropriate.
- Works in a fast-paced environment with a focus on customer service
- May work in environments of extreme cold and extreme heat for short periods of time
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to bend, reach, stoop, kneel, and squat
- Must be able to push, pull, and maneuver heavy loads
- Ability to stand for long periods
Compensation and benefits to be further discussed upon interview. Please send your completed application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off in-store.