The Rutland Area Food Co-op is a great place to work! We hire hard‐working, friendly and knowledgeable people who are committed to our Co-op’s mission and principles. If you provide excellent customer service, support your co‐workers with your outstanding work ethic, and are willing to take part in our cooperative structure, we encourage you to put your energy to work for the benefit of your community by taking this first step towards joining our growing business.
The Rutland Area Food Co-op is a community owned grocery and wellness market situated in downtown Rutland, Vermont. As a food cooperative, we are owned by a membership base of around 2,000 members. We aim to provide our owners and the greater Rutland region with affordable access to high quality, local, organic and sustainable foods and goods. At the same time, as a mission driven, community oriented business, we proudly strengthen our region by carrying products of more than 180 local businesses.
OPENINGS: GROCERY MANAGER
The Rutland Co-op’s Grocery Manager is responsible for all the functions and successful operation of a segment of our retail food store. This segment includes pre-packaged foods and household items. In addition to successfully running their department, the manager will fulfill various store duties, including serving as the manager-on-duty, cross training with other department managers, and serving as a cashier. This is a full-time, year-round position that will include nights, weekends, and some holidays. They report directly to the General Manager.
Essential Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
o Supervises and participates in the ordering, stocking, merchandising, and maintaining of the department
o Ensures the proper handling of organic products, and is knowledgeable of the varieties of items and packaged goods that the department offers
o Maintains high standards of quality control
· Operational Tasks
o Orders and receives deliveries
o Maintains vendor relations and communications
o Checks daily and weekly sales/movement reports, budgets, shrink reports and emails
o Operates and manages shifts on the register
· Department Conditions
o Maintains cleanliness, sanitation, and overall organization of the department including all fixtures, storage, work stations, and retail space.
· At least one year of purchasing and merchandising in a retail food store.
· Knowledge of organic and minimally processed foods as well as current trends in the natural foods industry
· Proficiency in ordering, pricing, margins, mark-ups, and inventory management
· Experience working with the public and strong customer service skills
· Strong organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills.
· Understanding of food safety, sanitation and proper storage/display of organic products
· Willingness to work a flexible schedule that includes nights, weekends, and some holidays
· Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel and Email
· Some experience with digital inventory systems
· Works in a fast-paced environment with a focus on customer service
· May work in environments of extreme cold and extreme heat for short periods of time
· May travel periodically for meetings
· Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
· Must be able to bend, reach, stoop, kneel and squat
· Must be able to push, pull, and maneuver heavy loads
· Must be able to stand and be on one’s feet the majority of the work day
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $13.00 to $15.00 /hour